Wednesday, August 13, 2008

GATHERING OF THE VIBES 2008 w/ TURBINE

GOTV REVIEWS and STORIES> 4 days 1 review Current mood: high Category: Music Directions for this blog: I will be providing music for you to listen to or videos to peak at while you read my stories...so you can really get a feel for what I did and what I heard...if you so please. So click first then read below. listen and read archive: TURBINE http://www.archive.org/details/turbine2008-08-01.zoomh4flac16 Ok. so we will begin at beginning, how uncanny. THURSDAY: After pulling into Stratford, Ct late Thursday night to a fabulous chicken parmesan meal waiting, Turbine stuffed face and cruised down to Gathering of the Vibes at beautiful Seaside Park in Bridgeport, Ct. There are not many festival venues that offer you land and sea, and I must say that I have enjoyed this venue both years I have attended. We walked into the festival after checking in at the Artists' Tent and proceeded to the main stageS. This year GOTV had TWO grand stages connected to each other. In my opinion, this thrust Gathering from one level to another. The size of the stages made the festival seem so grandious but kept the solid Vibes they strive for. One cannot blame production for this decision with such great festivals all over the country this summer, they had to hang...and hang they did. We drank some beers and mingled around while Dark Star Orchestra played to thousands of fans around us. We decided to make it a relatively early night considering the band had the noon spot on Friday. FRIDAY: Turbine rose early to the sweet smells of French Toast being made, as our host said "can't play music, dance, and drink whiskey on an empty stomach." I just thought to myself "man, he doesn't know me very well..." Never the less, the sweet French Toast started off the perfect day as we all got together and faced the future. The band drove in their van, I followed with a friend in my car (which will be important later in the story) and we entered through the Artist Gate to the Solar Stage, a smaller side stage where most young bands play. The stage was amazing for a side stage (one of the largest I've ever seen), when we saw it, it was clear that GOTV was taking this year's festival up in ranks. Turbine loaded in for the first set of the weekend on the Solar Stage. Sound check dwindled, the crowd filed in and beers began to fill my belly, as I was nervous and excited and figured "welp, when theres a free flowing keg..." Finally, it was noon and the set began without a hitch into a banging version of Eddy the Sea which seemed to really interest the passers-by. Hendrix cover Power of Soul followed, New Age of Sun (Carefully Careless' pick of the show), then crowd pleasure Desert Rose into Seven Years of Bad Luck (which I remember being incredibly intense) into super-sexy Doin' To Me followed by total upper Columbus Day. Right around Doin' To Me I began handing out recoreded shows from Turbine's residency at the Donegal Saloon in Kearny, NJ. I had 200 bootlegs, they were all gone, the crowd was feigning for the discs and I clearly did not have enough to go around. The show ended and there was nothing better to do than celebrate, our official Gathering of the Vibes commitments were over. Turbine was high and it was decided that they must play another show, if not two, before the weekend was over. listen and read archive: American Babies http://www.archive.org/details/ababies2008-08-01.c462b.flac Ok, so then I left and rushed over to American Babies on the second main stage. I had run into the Babies earlier that morning at Artist Check in and naturally asked for Swimming At Night, because I am a maniac for that song and I really dig the Babies. They are good people, nice guys, handsome and talented. They waited until the second to last song (smart boys) to play SAN (I am the WOOHOO during the archive) and they did it with flare. Hammy and Joe seemed to have a blast playing it, and I know I had a blast listening. They also played a killer Blue Skies. I enjoy hearing Joe Russo's harmony combined with Tom Hamilton. It's good shit. Really good. So, in normal fashion, I split after Swimming At Night, to chase back to the crew I was gathering with. We drank some more brewskis and chatted it up with fans and industry types that had taken a notice to Turbine's young talent and then cruised over to our campsite that our friends had prepared. We ate dogs, drank beers and did a little walking around, general bohemian festival living... listen and read archive: The Bridge http://www.archive.org/details/bridge2008-08-01.akg-sbd_matrix All of the sudden I realized my time had lapsed and I had places to be. Old pals from Baltimore were playing the Solar Stage at the break of the evening. So I hopped in a golf cart and made my way to the other side of Seaside Park to catch 3/4ths of their show. Naturally, I was running late...but as I pulled closer to the venue I could hear that the Bridge was killing it. I haven't seen these guys since I lived in Baltimore so it was a real treat, although getting Rosalita would have been nice. Seriously guys... Watch and read archive: Zappa :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskMMRTNQ_U&feature=related So, I think from here, well it gets a little foggy. I am pretty positive I saw Zappa plays Zappa, lets just say I enjoyed it and ended up putting my feet up in the VIP tent for the majority of the second half of the show, as I was a little...say...out of it. Oh yea, now the night gets fun. By this time I could get in touch with no one. I had lost my cell phone and had really no clue where it was. Then I went out to find my friend in the Zappa crowd after a little sobriety and left my bag in the VIP tent (I left that fucker all over backstage areas all day Friday) but luckily reclaimed it. Watch and read archive: DBB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmColAO_4Q I believe I ran into some friends in the tent and stayed for Deep Banana Blackout and in the mean time lost the band. Watch and read archive: Black Crowes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBq0VuGlmkU&feature=related During the Black Crowes I was wandering and found the Turbine crowd partying down. I got so excited I dropped my bag in jubilation and well with the changing of the tides, lost it in the crowd...not to be seen or heard of again until the following Monday. Chris Robinson made me do it. The contents of the bag were as such (so you can understand the inconvenience): Car Keys, Band Merch, Bootlegs, peace pipes, chap stick, Ray Bans, bottle opener, wallet (haha) etc. The crowd lights raged and it was time for us to get over to the Blue Bus that faced the water. Turbine's friends from Donegal Saloon had set up a stage with sound and lights for our use and use it we did. The Gathering of the Vibes Ocean Set took to the Bus stage after the main stage curfew. Turbine started out with loud and out of the gates Roll On into Don't Take Money from Strangers into Set Me Free followed by Blackout (cough) Song. A ripping Seven Years came next which I remember thinking "man, this blows earlier out of the water." Special of the Day split Seven Years amazing the crowd with a gut jam. First timers of Turbine got a jolt when they raged out classic Zeppelin with The Ocean a cult-classic favorite that accompanies salty-sea air perfectly. This sequel into Noise followed by New Age of Sun, Doin' To Me and Bad Mouth Blues. Our Band Transcriber, The Carefully Careless, gets a little hazy here, which doesn't help me considering his setlists are a great asset to my reviews (those who know me best know what I am talking about). Highlights include not falling over the edge onto the rocks lining the ocean. Once the bottle of Jim Beam disappeared and all wits were lost Turbine returned back to shelter in Stratford, where we caught some much needed Zzzzs in preparation of the big day of festival life we had ahead. SATURDAY: Man, it fucking rained all morning Saturday. Which secretly, I wasn't too upset about. I had a hankering hangover that was making a serious mark and waking up at 2:30p.m. was a lovely surprise. There was no music during the morning on Saturday, but eventually the clouds cleared the sun came out and the Billy Kreutzmann Trio started off the afternoon. I relaxed and listened while eating some really killer free food and talking to the Ryan Montebleau crew. Watch and read archive: Mike Gordon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qusg97CLClo Mike Gordon then took the stage breaking down the funky bass beats for an enormous crowd. I had met up earlier with some old friends that I had met at GOTV 2007. We petty much recreated our Saturday from the year before. Sitting in the same place, drinking Kettle One and groovin' with new people. Taj Mahal followed and then Phil Lesh. Watch and read archive: Phil Lesh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBA2gQQfHcU Scarlet Begonias was definitely a memorable song for me, I remember really enjoying it. Another great surprise was a text from a friend saying I was on iClips...seriously if anyone finds this clip email it to me please. Phil raged for a good solid three plus hours, nothing like the old days, but a decent dose I must say. Initially, Turbine had plans of playing a private loft party in Bridgeport for late night, but we bagged that for another on-site event. We returned to the Blue Bus post Phil and Turbine retaliated. In front of more than 200 guests, Turbine kept the crowd on their feet and bustling. I remember thinking whether its the vibe of Jerry looking down on a new band or the excitement Phil had brought back to fans, people were all about rocking 'til dawn to a band they had never heard before. People came, people left, people passed out and slept, it was all good. Turbine opened with a righteous Invited, Slain and Maritime Rag which segued into funky upbeat Country Pie (Carefully Careless' favorite of the evening) followed by Stand Down, and a solid Reward into a Wonderful Isn't She Lovely with harmonican genius Ryan Rightmire in innerspace. Continuing the show was Behind These Walls, a first timer for the fest and a crowd so large (I remember it being received extremely well). Quicksand by request (CC and I both were beggin' for it) into instrumental O'Dawg Stomp. Turbine slowed it down, thankfully, with Cranberry Creek but brought it right back up with Derrick and the Dominos catchy ditty Got To Get Better In A Little While. There is an annotation that Eddy the Sea was played, no one knows when it was and well, neither do I. After the set was over people were very eager to meet the band, we handed out a lot of information, took a lot of pictures and drank alot of liquor...I imagine...I don't really know. SUNDAY: Ok, so Sunday I went back to GOTV and all reality set in. I had to find my bag, so I could get my keys so I could drive home. Honestly, I didn't think about this chaos all weekend, I was not about to let it bring me down...and it was worth it and I'll tell you why. Right Now. Upon walking into the festival I thought it only proper to go check out Umphrey's McGee since I haven't seen those guys in awhile. It was hot, I was hungover; but still, it was fun. Sunday sets are always hard to relish into... I then came to grips with my responsibilities and decided to ignore them. I borrowed 30 bucks from the band and took the train back to NYC. Leaving my car at Seaside Park until Wednesday when my spare key would arrive. On Wednesday not only did a receive my key in the mail, as planned, but also received an email from a lovely lady who found my bag and UPSed it back to me. I received my bag yesterday and it is clear that someone had a good time running around looking like Mary Poppins. I cannot blame them, I have a good time running around like Mary Poppins too. The bag was intact but my wallet, sunnies and peace pipes are missing...in their place I have a camera and bug spray (two things I never carry)...to the person who borrowed my bag and is still borrowing some of my belongings, thank you for re-losing the bag as it carries monumental memories...but know this, I WILL FIND YOU...mwahahaha All and all pretty frightfully-amazing weekend. SPECIAL THANKS GO TO: Gathering of the Vibes, Ken Hayes and Production, Turbine, Solar Stage, Joe Mango, cool security, Festicab, Kate, the city of Bridgeport for not towing my car, Efrat Cohen, Tina, John Sullo, Rocko, Betsy, The Carefully Careless (twice), NGM, friends, old fans, new fans and GREAT times! Love, Jess

No comments: