Sunday, February 25, 2007

DMB at Randall's Island, NYC 8/6/06

This day is also known as the day I met Macky Macky. I had been in the city all weekend for my best pal's graduation/birthday celebration. I spent Friday and Saturday out in Breezy Point, Brooklyn partying on the beach, taking booze cruises around the Hudson and catching up with some of my closest college buddies. Right before I had left I realized that Dave Matthews was playing at Randall's Island the same weekend. My infamous partner in crime Kate Madigan and my other pal Nicole had already bought tickets to this one day fest. It sure was a jam packed day, Bela Fleck, David Gray, Slightly Stoopid, Dave Matthews Band and Tea Leaf Green. At this point in the summer I was broke, so I called a friend for a favor. I couldn't handle knowing that I would be in the same city at the same time as two of my best pals and my favorite band...so I did what any ordinary girl would do and tried to find a ticket. I called Sauce. Saturday afternoon I got a call. I was already half in the bag. Sauce confirmed that there was a ticket waiting for me at Will Call and I was in. Excited, I thanked him lots and called my girlfriends and arranged a meeting. The next day, Sunday, I took the subway all the way from Brooklyn to the closest stop to Randall's Island, which I forget. Then I took a bus which dropped me right at Will Call. I got in line, waited, and finally gave my name at the window, they didn't have my ticket. My dumb ass was in the wrong line and the lady informed me to go to "Artist's Guests" window, a mistake I would never make again in life. Everyone in line heard the lady at the window, then the murmuring started..."I wish I was a guest of a band." "we should hang with her." for some reason I was embarrassed. I grabbed my ticket and split, fast. After walking around the place for 20 minutes I finally found my posse. We sat on the grassy noels, passing time and giggling until Tea Leaf Green started the day off. It was Nicole's first TLG show, the poor thing had to put up with all of our antics - those who dig any band make it obvious, as did we and the gentleman behind us - Macky. The show was a great little dose of TLG, classic Moonshine, One Reason, Two Chairs and set closer and Jammy winning tune Taught To Be Proud. Afterwards I spoke to the guys, thanked them for my ticket...where Ben C proceeded to make fun of my rather horse voice. One would think I would have been embarrassed...but not in the least. The other bands played, it was fun, I ended up with a VIP bracelet which got me backstage for a little. I then split to go hang with my friends, we drank beers and ate pineapple with strangers in the parking lot. We later left, and ventured back to Nicole's pad, we got lost for hours. But nothing could hinder the perfect experience...all in all it was a fabulous day all thanks to Sauce.

No comments: